The crockpot is my friend. (Note: It failed me a week ago when I tried to make pulled pork for a group of guests, but we’ve since reconciled. And in other news, thank you to whomever created the $5 pizza.)
Today I bring you a recipe that served my family well for supper last night. Variations of this recipe have traveled the interwebs, but my recipe most closely resembles one from Jimmy Dean.
WHAT YOU NEED:
2 lbs. frozen, shredded hash browns
1 pkg. Jimmy Dean® Hearty Original Sausage Crumbles
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
6 green onions, sliced
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
I did not use any of the following:
(optional: 1/2 cup julienne cut sun dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained)
(optional: 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard)
(optional: 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1. Spray a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray. Layer 1/2 of the hashbrowns on the bottom of crockpot.
2. Top with half of the sausage, mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and green onion. Repeat layering.
3. Beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended.
4. Pour evenly over hashbrown-sausage mixture.
5. Cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours or until eggs are set
Serving with toast and jam makes for an exceptionally happy family.